I wanted something sweet for breakfast the other morning, and the kids (crazy little people) told me they were tired of banana bread. Given the abundance of apples in our house this year, I thought apple cake might just hit the spot. Given that all three of my kids asked for a second piece, I’d call it a big hit!
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease and line 8-in round pan
- Combine apples, cinnamon, and juice in large flat-bottomed pan
- Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until apples are softened and liquid is syrupy
- Whisk together coconut flour, baking soda, and salt
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs until frothy and uniform in color
- Stir coconut oil and vinegar into eggs until well combined
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture and stir until smooth
- Mix in apples, including syrup, until evenly distributed throughout
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 40-45 min, until fully set in the center
- Allow to cool in pan 5-10 min before removing and slicing
Yield: 1 8-in cake
To make this a more dessert-y dish, I recommend adding a dollop of coconut whipped “cream” and/or drizzling with your favorite caramel sauce.
Do you prefer your cakes for breakfast or dessert?